Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:Program that allows 30,000 migrants from 4 countries into the US each month upheld by judge -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:Program that allows 30,000 migrants from 4 countries into the US each month upheld by judge
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:37:23
VICTORIA,Indexbit Exchange Texas (AP) — A federal judge in Texas on Friday upheld a key piece of President Joe Biden’s immigration policy that allows a limited number of migrants from four countries to enter the U.S. on humanitarian grounds, dismissing a challenge from Republican-led states that said the program created an economic burden on them.
U.S. District Judge Drew B. Tipton in Victoria, Texas, ruled in favor of the humanitarian parole program that allows up to 30,000 asylum-seekers into the U.S. each month from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela combined. Eliminating the program would undercut a broader policy that seeks to encourage migrants to use the Biden administration’s preferred pathways into the U.S. or face stiff consequences.
Texas and 20 other states that sued argued the program is forcing them to spend millions on health care, education, and public safety for the migrants. An attorney working with the Texas attorney general’s office in the legal challenge said that the program “created a shadow immigration system.”
Advocates for the federal government countered that migrants admitted through the policy helped with a U.S. farm labor shortage.
An appeal appeared likely.
Tipton is an appointee of former President Donald Trump who ruled against the Biden administration in 2022 on an order that determined who to prioritize for deportation.
The program started in fall 2022. Migrants must apply online, arrive at an airport and have a financial sponsor in the U.S. If approved, they can stay for two years and get a work permit.
In an August trial, Tipton declined to issue any temporary order that would halt the parole program nationwide.
Some states said the initiative has benefited them. One Nicaraguan migrant admitted into the country through that process filled a position at a farm in Washington state that was struggling to find workers.
Tipton questioned how Texas could be claiming financial losses if data showed that the parole program actually reduced the number of migrants coming into the U.S.
When the policy took effect, the Biden administration had been preparing to end a pandemic-era policy at the border known as Title 42 that barred migrants from seeking asylum at ports of entry and immediately expelled many who entered illegally.
Proponents of the policy also faced scrutiny from Tipton, who questioned whether living in poverty was enough for migrants to qualify. Elissa Fudim, a lawyer with the U.S. Department of Justice, responded: “I think probably not.”
Federal government attorneys and immigrant rights groups said that in many cases, Cubans, Haitians, Nicaraguans and Venezuelans are also fleeing oppressive regimes, escalating violence and worsening political conditions that have endangered their lives.
The lawsuit did not challenge the use of humanitarian parole for tens of thousands of Ukrainians who came after Russia’s invasion.
The program’s supporters said each case is individually reviewed and some people who had made it to the final approval step after arriving in the U.S. have been rejected, though they did not provide the number of rejections that have occurred.
The lawsuit is among several legal challenges the Biden administration has faced over immigrations policies.
veryGood! (388)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Go to McDonald's and you can get a free Krispy Kreme doughnut. Here's how.
- Relatives of passengers who died in Boeing Max crashes will face off in court with the company
- What to know about this year’s Social Security cost-of-living adjustment
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- Who still owns a landline phone? You might be surprised at what the data shows.
- Andy Cohen Reacts to NYE Demands After Anderson Cooper Gets Hit by Hurricane Milton Debris
- Venezuela vs. Argentina live updates: Watch Messi play World Cup qualifying match tonight
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Princess Kate makes surprise appearance with Prince William after finishing chemotherapy
Ranking
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Milton by the numbers: At least 5 dead, at least 12 tornadoes, 3.4M without power
- Shelter-in-place ordered for 2 east Texas cities after chemical release kills 1 person
- California man, woman bought gold bars to launder money in $54 million Medicare fraud: Feds
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- Why Full House's Scott Curtis Avoided Candace Cameron Bure After First Kiss
- Chicago man charged with assaulting two officers during protests of Netanyahu address to Congress
- NCAA pilot study finds widespread social media harassment of athletes, coaches and officials
Recommendation
3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
Residents clean up and figure out what’s next after Milton
Andy Cohen Reacts to NYE Demands After Anderson Cooper Gets Hit by Hurricane Milton Debris
WNBA Finals will go to best-of-seven series next year, commissioner says
Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
Anderson Cooper hit by debris during CNN's live Hurricane Milton coverage
Influencer Cecily Bauchmann Apologizes for Flying 4 Kids to Florida During Hurricane Milton
Pregnant Influencer Campbell “Pookie” Puckett and Husband Jett Puckett Reveal Sex of Their First Baby